Domestic manufacturers need access to credit in order to meet growing demand.
CNN Money's Parija Kavilanz reports that U.S. manufacturers have seen increased business of late. That's the good news.
However, many manufacturers also reports that banks aren't lending them money to "ramp up production" in order to meet increased demand for product.
Kavilanz says that a recent survey of small to mid-sized manufacturers showed 26% reporting "lack of capital to grow" as the biggest challenge they face.
The question is how to rectify the problem:
Banks, aware of a domestic manufacturing resurgence, say they're willing to lend, according to a range of regional and national financial institutions CNNMoney talked to. But they are proceeding with caution, especially with loans to smaller contract manufacturers or "machine and job shops."
The Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) has consistently urged increased access to capital as one of the key points of a coordinated national manufacturing strategy.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Oregon construction group pushes for Made in America • by scapozzola • 05/14/2013
- Promise on the horizon for American solar • by mmcmullan • 05/14/2013