"Does the U.S.trade deficit with China ebb and flow?"
In an interview with KGO-ABC Radio San Francisco this morning, Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul was asked whether the U.S. international trade with China simply goes up and down depennding on the shopping season.
Paul said that, unfortunately, America's trade gap with China keeps growing:
2009 $226 billion
2010 $273 billion
2011 $295 billion
2012 projected $ 318 billon
Paul said Americans should be very concerned because this growing trade deficit represents millions of lost U.S. manufacturing jobs. In 2012, an Economic Policy Institute (EPI) study found that the trade deficit with China cost 2.7 million U.S. jobs in the last decade. And, a new analysis finds that trade with China cut U.S. manufacturing jobs by roughly 30% since 2001.
Whats needed are revisions to U.S. trade policy. Paul explained that there are a number of steps the U.S. urgently needs to take in order to strengthen manufacturing and hold countries like China accountable when they violate trade agreements and illegally undervalue their currency.
LISTEN TO THE FULL ABC INTERVIEW. Click here and fast forward to 36:36 into the newshour.
Related recent Blogs
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014