Democrats Expand the 'Make It In America' Jobs Initiative
House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer (D-MD) and other members of the Democratic Caucus today introduced new bills to the “Make It In America” jobs initiative. The House Democrats' plan focuses on creating the best conditions for American businesses to manufacture, innovate, and create new jobs in America.
Every American who wants to work hard and take responsibility ought to have a job that pays well and opens doors of opportunity to the middle class. The overwhelming majority of Americans are focused on that premise. We’re making sure that the manufacturing business can innovate, hire, and build here in America. This is supported by Democrats, by Republicans, and everybody I talk to.
The bills introduced today focus on four key action areas:
- A plan. Adopting and pursuing a national manufacturing strategy.
- More exports meaning more jobs for American workers.
- Encouraging businesses to create and bring jobs home to America.
- Investing and training a 21st century workforce.
At the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM), we know this is what voters want to see from Congress. Said AAM President Scott Paul:
The American people want Congress to focus on job creation — 84 percent of voters support a national manufacturing strategy. The Make it in America agenda pulls together common-sense policies to help grow our manufacturing base, establish a level playing field for American businesses, and create a brighter future for American workers.
These bills are a step in the right direction to create and support American manufacturing jobs. Rep. Steven Horsford (D-NV) introduced a bill today that we’re particularly excited about. The 2-2-2 Pilot Program is a path for high school students to receive training in manufacturing: 2 years in high school, 2 years at a community college, and 2 years in an apprenticeship.
With bills like these, we can Keep It Made in America.
Related recent Blogs
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014