Democrats and Republicans Eye Cleveland in 2016
The once-dubbed mistake on the lake is in the running with cities including Columbus, Dallas, Phoenix, and Philadelphia for either party’s national convention for the 2016 cycle. Cleveland’s newly-built convention center, hotel capacity, and transportation make it a contender — but so does the city’s geographic location.
No presidential candidate has won the highest office without carrying Ohio in the general election since President John F. Kennedy in 1960. And within the state, Cuyahoga County (Cleveland area) is THE key battleground.
Candidates, parties, and PACs spent millions of dollars in Ohio and Cleveland in particular during the 2012 election cycle, according to a report by Kantar Media’s Campaign Media Analysis Group (CMAG):
Across all markets seeing presidential advertising, Cleveland ranked second-highest for both spending and spot mentions of jobs: $37 million and 33,877, respectively. For anti-Bain (outsourcing) mentions, it ranked second-highest for spending and highest for spots: $4.8 million and 5,676. On trade, it ranked second-highest for spending and highest for spots: $5.8 million and 5,138. And on China trade, it ranked highest for both spending and spots: $4.6 million and 4,722.
The parties may just be playing politics, but Cleveland is a city built on manufacturing. Here at the Alliance for American Manufacturing, we think both parties should adopt Cleveland as their home in 2016 — and focus on creating and supporting well-paying middle class jobs.
Related recent Blogs
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014