Couldn’t make it to the AAM book event at the AFL-CIO last week? Here’s what you missed
Last week, Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul and Harold Meyerson, Washington Post columnist and editor of the American Prospect, sat down at AFL-CIO headquarters in Washington, DC to talk about AAM’s latest manufacturing policy book. Both Paul and Meyerson contributed chapters to ReMaking America, and gave a debriefing on manufacturing, job creation, and the state of the middle class in America.
Couldn’t make it to the event? Here are some important points highlighted below, some with a more detailed explanation included.
There’s great contribution to the economy if workers get paid well.
That’s right. But according to Meyerson, American workers need a raise. Wages in the auto manufacturing industry, he pointed out, have declined precipitously recent years.
Some of it, AAM has argued, has been due to predatory trading practices by competitors like China. Meyerson, on the other hand, took a long look at the decline of wages in an article for the Prospect in November 2013.
The multiplier effect is tremendous in manufacturing.
For every dollar spent on manufacturing, in fact, $1.48 is generated in economic activity elsewhere. That’s the largest multiplier of any sector.
In a nutshell, one can say that manufacturing is an essential part of the U.S. economy. Every country has manufacturing problems, and if there is no set goal it will be hard to get them figured out.
You know what that means? We need a national manufacturing strategy. Take a look at our strategy blueprint, and keep it and our State of the Union translator handy when President Obama speaks to the nation tonight.
In the meantime, you can order a copy of ReMaking America right here.
Research for this post provided by AAM intern Pamela Tom-Jack.
Related recent Blogs
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- April 11, 2014: Cherry blossoms! • by mmcmullan • 04/11/2014
- Rep. Sandy Levin talks currency and the TPP • by mmcmullan • 04/10/2014