Could U.S. tech manufacturing see a mini-rebound?
Despite the terrible jobs numbers released Friday, this is shaping up to be a big week for American manufacturing.
The tech industry saw two big announcements regarding American-made electronics. Computer (and tablet) maker Lenovo announced it will add 115 manufacturing jobs at its production facility in North Carolina.
According to Techday:
The new U.S. PC manufacturing line began operations in January 2013, and is capable of producing some of Lenovo’s newest Think-branded products, including ThinkCentre M92p Tiny desktop, ThinkPad Tablet 2, ThinkPad Helix convertible ultrabook and more.
The irony of a Chinese computer manufacturer bringing production jobs to the United States is not lost on us.
Additionally, TechCrunch is reporting that Apple will assemble its new line of Mac Pros in the United States, though Apple is keeping mum on the details. TechCrunch suspects the computers will be assembled in Texas.
In a correction on the site, TechCrunch rightly points out that Apple only confirms it will ‘assemble’ in the U.S., not necessarily ‘manufacture.’
At the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM), we appreciate the nuance.
Related recent Blogs
- What's funding the military buildup in China? • by TGarland • 04/23/2014
- Quote Of The Day: "It's time the administration stiffened its spine" on trade issues • by mmcmullan • 04/22/2014
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014