Congressman Chris Murphy: Department of Defense Doesn’t Have Our Back
Congressman Chris Murphy (D-CT) published a report yesterday detailing the failures of the Department of Defense to live up to the Buy American Act. Rep. Murphy called for reformations of the law to further encourage our Defense agencies to buy domestic:
Instead of looking inward and investing in United States manufacturers, DoD has been too quick to look for ways to get around the Buy American Act. We need to reform our procurement regime, refocus on job creation, and reverse the current trend that leads to outsourcing American jobs.
The statistics contained in the report are startling:
- The DoD issued 38,498 waivers to the Buy American Act last year and 161,711 over the last four years.
- Funding sent abroad totals $53.5 billion and, according to some estimates, has cost us as many as 620,000 jobs in America.
- According to the report, 92% of waivers since 2007 were allowed due to the international obligations and the “outside the U.S.” loophole.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013