Congrats to Jeff Rains for his volunteer community efforts
Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) field coordinator Jeff Rains has been busy helping his community in Granite City, Illinois.
With the help of a group of community volunteers he organized, Rains has been planting vegetable gardens in areas hard-hit by job loss.
There are two public gardens on church and city property, that have spawned a total of 11 gardens around the Granite City area. The rules of the gardens are very simple. If someone needs some of the vegetables, they are urged to take them.
Volunteers do the planting, cultivating, and harvesting as necessary. While it was predicted that the gardens migt be vandalized, instead, the gardens are respected and well-used.
Next year the group plans to use an abandoned greenhouse to begin growing plants from seed, to use in the gardens. A number of Granite City donors have been paying for the plants in an effort to give back to the community.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Oregon construction group pushes for Made in America • by scapozzola • 05/14/2013
- Promise on the horizon for American solar • by mmcmullan • 05/14/2013