Congrats to Dan Kildee: H.R. 1276 picks up a new sponsor
Though they might not be on the front burner of the Congressional stove, trade issues are still bubbling.
Yesterday, a coalition of business and trade groups circulated a letter through key committees urging updated Trade Promotion Authority legislation, which would allow the Obama administration to speed along approval of trade deals like the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) and the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP).
And today brings news from the annual AFL-CIO convention, where the nation’s largest union declared it would oppose one of those agreements (the TPP) if it didn’t adequately protect working-class Americans.
But let’s not forget H.R. 1276. The Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act would add the pernicious practice of currency manipulation to the list of actionable offenses around which American businesses can bring trade relief cases to the International Trade Commission. That would be a big deal. Currency manipulation is pretty rife among many of America's trading partners in Asia, and particularly with Japan, which is involved in TPP talks.
H.R. 1276 is still picking up cosponsors in the House. And yesterday it got a new one: Democratic Rep. Dan Kildee (MI-5). Way to go, Rep. Kildee! That’s a smart move for workers and businesses in Michigan’s fightin’ fifth. We’re also impressed with the way he deftly handled a sit-down with notoriously tough interviewer Stephen Colbert:
Has your representative signed on to support American manufacturers and workers by opposing currency manipulation? Let ’em know what you think by sending a letter. Click right here.
Related recent Blogs
- QOTD: President Obama speaking to newly elected mayors • by LDonia • 12/13/2013
- Clean energy manufacturing gets help from DOE • by TGarland • 12/12/2013
- John Porcari, DOT Buy America champion, is stepping down • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- Now there's an idea: Using trade policy as leverage with China • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- 5 Keys to American-Made Holiday Shopping • by TGarland • 12/11/2013
- December 11, 2013: US Trade Rep has not discussed this "currency manipulation" everyone keeps talking about • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- December 10, 2013: Welcome back, GM • by mmcmullan • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013