Congrats to Dan Kildee: H.R. 1276 picks up a new sponsor
Though they might not be on the front burner of the Congressional stove, trade issues are still bubbling.
Yesterday, a coalition of business and trade groups circulated a letter through key committees urging updated Trade Promotion Authority legislation, which would allow the Obama administration to speed along approval of trade deals like the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) and the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP).
And today brings news from the annual AFL-CIO convention, where the nation’s largest union declared it would oppose one of those agreements (the TPP) if it didn’t adequately protect working-class Americans.
But let’s not forget H.R. 1276. The Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act would add the pernicious practice of currency manipulation to the list of actionable offenses around which American businesses can bring trade relief cases to the International Trade Commission. That would be a big deal. Currency manipulation is pretty rife among many of America's trading partners in Asia, and particularly with Japan, which is involved in TPP talks.
H.R. 1276 is still picking up cosponsors in the House. And yesterday it got a new one: Democratic Rep. Dan Kildee (MI-5). Way to go, Rep. Kildee! That’s a smart move for workers and businesses in Michigan’s fightin’ fifth. We’re also impressed with the way he deftly handled a sit-down with notoriously tough interviewer Stephen Colbert:
Has your representative signed on to support American manufacturers and workers by opposing currency manipulation? Let ’em know what you think by sending a letter. Click right here.
Related recent Blogs
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014