China ends wind-power subsidies
As the result of a complaint filed by the United Steelworkers (USW) last September with the World Trade Organization (WTO), China agreed to end a program that subsidized wind-power manufacturers. According to IndustryWeek, USW filed the complaint because “export credits, preferences in bidding, forced transfers of technology and discrimination against firms outside the nation gave Chinese producers of renewable-energy products an unfair advantage."
The World Trade Organization (WTO) agreed, stating that “Subsidies requiring the use of local content are particularly harmful and are expressly prohibited under WTO rules. We challenged these subsidies so that American manufacturers can produce wind turbine components here in the United States and sell them in China.”
As Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Executive Director told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette,
“This is a good first step, [but] We still have a long way to go in creating a level playing field for American workers and businesses, which is why it will be important for the Administration to follow through on the other elements of the Steelworkers’ original case."
Related recent Blogs
- Clean energy manufacturing gets help from DOE • by TGarland • 12/12/2013
- John Porcari, DOT Buy America champion, is stepping down • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- December 12, 2013: Uh, an economic boom? • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- Now there's an idea: Using trade policy as leverage with China • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- 5 Keys to American-Made Holiday Shopping • by TGarland • 12/11/2013
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013