Is the China auto bubble about to burst? And what about the U.S. auto parts supply chain?
Wolf Richter, writing for Business Insider, suggests in a column today that the "China auto bubble is emitting a sharp hiss.”
Part of the reason for the "hiss" is the increased attention of the Obama administration to China's rampant industrial subsidies, according to Tim Raif, a general counsel in the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR).
Raif recently told reporters that the Administration was “looking into” the fact that every car sold in the United States contains Chinese-made parts.
As the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) has cited, more than 400,000 jobs in the U.S. auto supply chain have been lost since 2000, in part because of China’s massive subsidies, which violate World Trade Organization (WTO) rules.
Could the attention of both the executive and legislative branches signal a shift in policy? 1.6 million U.S. jobs in the auto parts supply chain depend on it.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013