Checking Wal-Mart's Shelves for American-made goods, Part 1
As we reported yesterday, Wal-Mart has been in the news for claiming that most of the products it sells are American-made goods. Parija Kavilanz explained in a CNN Money article, the retail chain has been selling mostly groceries and household goods lately (like toilet paper), many of which are grown or made in the U.S. However, the chain's higher value items, like electronics and appliances, are still typically made overseas.
The Consumerist's Chris Morran has picked up on the story, reporting that "more people now go to Walmart to buy affordable groceries and not for foreign-made items like electronics and cheap apparel."
ManufactureThis has decided to start sampling various Wal-Mart's throughout the United States to assess whether or not the retailer is offering more American-made goods.
Our first investigation comes courtesy of Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Indiana Field Coordinator Michael Mitchell, who browsed the aisles of a Wal-Mart in Hobart, Indiana. Mitchell looked into clothing and televisions. Only a U.S. flag was made in USA (see accompanying photos):
-woman’s dress, made in Cambodia
-woman’s jeans, made in Bangladesh
-men’s shorts, made in China
-Philip’s TV, made in China
-Samsung TV, made in Mexico
-U.S. Flags, made in USA
ManufactureThis will continue to report on its inventories of various Wal-Mart stores. Stay tuned.
Related recent Blogs
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014