A case for regional manufacturing institutes
As we noted in this morning's Early Shift, universities in the Pacific Northwest are working together to create a “regional innovative manufacturing facility” in both Oregon and Washington to help small- and medium-sized manufacturers apply advanced technologies during production.
In Washington, the manufacturing facility would educate employees about the real-world application of carbon composite technologies, while the facility in Oregon would focus on electronics manufacturing. The hope is that these techniques are successful and can be applied across the country to benefit the transportation industry.
This is exactly the kind of work needed to ensure a competitive American manufacturing sector. ReMaking America author Stacey Jarrett Wagner makes the case for these manufacturing institutes:
These would serve as regional hubs of manufacturing excellence to make manufacturers more competitive and encourage investment in the United States. The proposed network has been endorsed by the federal government’s Advanced Manufacturing Partnership (AMP) Steering Committee. The AMP’s final recommendations outlined a set of actions designed to enable innovation, strengthen the U.S. workforce and accelerate investment in America. These institutes and the network should be quickly established.
Related recent Blogs
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014
- U.S. Named Among “Rising Global Stars” in Manufacturing • by elizabethbb • 08/20/2014
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014