The California Labor Federation Comments on the Problems of the Bay Bridge
Statement by California Labor Federation Executive Secretary-Treasurer Art Pulaski:
"The Bay Bridge is an iconic structure that symbolizes California’s ingenuity and innovation.
'It was originally built by Californians who had a vision of connecting our Bay cities to bring people and businesses closer together. The bridge remains one of California’s marvels of which we are all proud.
'The recent work done on this bridge fell woefully short of upholding the California values the Bay Bridge stands for.
'We shouldn’t be using steel from China – or anywhere else for that matter – when those materials could and should be California made. We shouldn’t be putting pieces of the bridge together in other countries when that work should be done here.
'Outsourcing is a scourge on our economy. If we want to rebuild California, we need to do it with California workers.
'As our economy continues to struggle with unacceptable levels of joblessness, every available taxpayer dollar should be helping put people back to work, whether those people are teachers, public safety personnel or steelworkers.
'We’re not short on work ethic in California, but we are short on work. We should never use public money to outsource jobs to other countries when those jobs could be done by dedicated union workers committed to the highest standards of quality.
'No workers in the world are more productive than California workers. The Bay Bridge should have been 100% Made in America. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen. Our leaders must not make that mistake again.
'Taxpayer dollars shouldn’t subsidize outsourcing. Those dollars should be putting Californians to work."
Related recent Blogs
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- A bad time to sideline trade talks • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- Infrastructure investment means job creation • by TGarland • 12/04/2013
- China trade deficit on pace for new record, but will anyone notice? Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/04/2013
- What to do with abandoned factories? Bring in the artists! • by LDonia • 12/03/2013
- Surprise, surprise? Americans still say job creation should be top priority • by mmcmullan • 12/03/2013
- Fmr. Transportaion Secretary Ray LaHood urges infrastructure investment • by TGarland • 12/02/2013