CA Governor bolsters Buy America rules for bus and rail projects
Gov. Jerry Brown of California signed a bill on Monday that will allow the state’s transit agencies to adopt stronger Buy America rules for the production of new buses and rail cars, reports the Contra Costa Times:
Assembly Bill 1097 permits public transit systems to set their own requirements for the minimum percent of American-made content and components in federally funded buses and rail cars. Without the state law, the federal minimum of 60 percent applies to public transit purchases of buses and rail cars, legislative staffers say.
When the law takes effect Jan. 1, transit agencies can impose a higher buy-American minimum.The buy-America requirements, however, cannot be imposed if they increase the purchase price of vehicles in excess of certain federal thresholds.
The author of the bill, Assemblywoman Nancy Skinner (D-Berkley) hopes stronger Buy America provisions for bus and rail projects will improve California’s employment situation:
"With our economy still feeling the effects of 'the great recession,' we need to keep working to create every job we can," said Assemblywoman Nancy Skinner, D-Berkeley, the author of the bill. "AB 1097 supports American jobs and the recovery of manufacturing at no cost to state or local governments."
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Oregon construction group pushes for Made in America • by scapozzola • 05/14/2013