Buying vintage instead of buying imported.
Manufacture NY founder Bob Bland was interviewed recently on the CBS Evening News, in the wake of the Bangladesh garment factory disaster. Bland says that Americans want to buy American-made, and they don't want to support unsafe working conditions overseas.
Bland is one of a number of designers pushing the idea of sustainable clothing. She's also an advocate of a new clothing movement that aims to make an impact at the cash register of chain clothing stores.
The idea? Shopping for clothes at a thrift store.
Essentially, anyone who is asking how they can buy affordable clothing should consider buying clothes from their local thrift shop. It's a clever way to accomplish a number of goals at once:
1. Fight textile waste;
2. Put money back into the local community;
3. Find good deals on a wide variety of clothing options;
4. Look like a rock star.
So, consider the "thrift option" by shopping vintage. In fact, buying clothes at local thrift shops very often means buying American-made:
- Clothes made before 1990 are 80% more likely to have been Made In USA.
- In 1980, 80% of Americans' clothing was still made in USA.
- Tons of vintage clothes have Made-in-USA tags.
Related recent Blogs
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- December 9, 2013: China reports biggest trade surplus in five years • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- December 5, 2013: Another voice for a currency rule in the TPP • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- Some Made in America gift ideas for the obnoxious teenager in your life • by LDonia • 12/04/2013