Buy American to Create Jobs
We're not surprised to see that No. 11 on The Huffington Post's America Needs Job series is "Buy American -- If you can." HuffPost reporter Dan Froomkin says that "Buy American" was one of the most common email responses he received from readers on how to solve the job crisis in America.
"There are 5 billion cell phones in the world, and we don't make any of them. We don't make any laptops. No flat-screen TVs. The big-box stores are so ubiquitous that their sourcing policies sort of dictate where a lot of things come from."
Froomkin also points to the increasing difficulty of buying American, a problem which needs to be addressed if the average consumer is going to be able to make informed, as well as economical, decisions about their purchases. He also quotes AAM book author and Manufacturing & Technology News editor Richard McCormack on the fact that Americans have simply stopped producing the products that they continue to purchase.
It seems as though the Obama administration is on board, as Froomkin draws White House support of Buy America straight from the horse's mouth:
The White House's position is that Buy America is a fine idea, but that the key is having a lot more things made in America in the first place. President Obama on August 6, for instance, spoke of his desire to "rebuild our economy around three simple words - Made in America. That is what I'm committed to doing, and that's what I hope members of both parties will join me in doing in the days ahead and beyond."
See AAM's recent study on why 'Buy America' works.
Related recent Blogs
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- A bad time to sideline trade talks • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- Infrastructure investment means job creation • by TGarland • 12/04/2013
- China trade deficit on pace for new record, but will anyone notice? Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/04/2013