Buy America Works
This year, AAM has been very focused on making sure that Buy America remains a prioroty. We've seen President Obama impose tariffs on subsidized Chinese tires being dumpbed on American soil, and we've seen jobs created and saved because of this decision.
More on Buy America:
Under current law, domestic sourcing requirements apply to general government procurement, materials for highway and transit infrastructure investments, projects funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (the Recovery Act) and elsewhere. This is not a new phenomenon; “Buy America” laws have been on the books for 70 years in this country.
As AAM showed in its February, 2010 study, Buy America is a proven job creation tool that is broadly supported by Congress, the American people and hundreds of local governments throughout the United States. Application of Buy America laws is particularly pressing as our nation struggles to emerge from a recession that has devastated the U.S. manufacturing sector.
Domestic sourcing laws comply with our international trade obligations and are utilized by numerous foreign governments. For all of these reasons, “Buy America” provisions should continue to be utilized in infrastructure and other spending bills so our manufacturing base can thrive and so more Americans can earn a paycheck and contribute to the overall welfare of the nation.
Related recent Blogs
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013