Buy America push in Nebraska gains momentum
Last fall, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) testified before the Nebraska State Legislature's Committee on Revenue as part of a study examining "Municipal, State, and Federal Programs Available to Assist with Job Creation in the Manufacturing Sector."
As Teresa Lostroh reports in today's Omaha World Herald, Omaha State Senator Heath Mello has now introduced legislation that "would require state agencies to use American-made steel, iron and manufactured goods for public works projects. That includes the construction, repair, renovation or maintenance of buildings, roads, bridges, waterways, airports and railways."
Lostroh says that Nebraska is somewhat of a "late patriot in the 'Buy American' movement, which has been buoyed nationwide by the still-recovering economy and unemployment":
Manufacturers, steelworkers and their respective lobbying groups have pushed "Buy American" resolutions in at least 17 states and more than 500 cities, counties and school districts, saying such measures promote domestic jobs and reward U.S. companies that might otherwise be beat out by cheaper foreign bids.
Lostroh also cites an Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) report:
studies show that a public works project that relies solely on U.S. goods creates 33 percent more American manufacturing jobs than one that doesn't.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Oregon construction group pushes for Made in America • by scapozzola • 05/14/2013