Bringing factories back home to the U.S.
It pays to bring manufacturing operations back to the U.S.
Congressman Frank Wolf (R-VA) included a "cost of ownership" concept in his bipartisan Bring Jobs Back to America bill (H.R. 516), first introduced in the 111th Congress and reintroduced in the 112th Congress.
Wolf's efforts have now impacted the nationʼs “minibus” spending bill as part of a strategy to bring outsourced jobs back to the United States.
Recently, the U.S. Senate and House approved, and President Obama signed, the minibus spending bill, which involves the 2012 budgets for the U.S. Departments of Agriculture, Commerce, Justice, Science, Transportation, and Housing and Urban Development. In particular, the bill encourages the Commerce Department to focus its efforts on reshoring manufacturing and specifically instructs Commerce to develop an online total cost of ownership calculator that firms may use to determine the hidden costs of offshore manufacturing, such as shipping and inventory carrying costs.
Related recent Blogs
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- April 11, 2014: Cherry blossoms! • by mmcmullan • 04/11/2014
- Rep. Sandy Levin talks currency and the TPP • by mmcmullan • 04/10/2014