Bringing factories back home to the U.S.
It pays to bring manufacturing operations back to the U.S.
Congressman Frank Wolf (R-VA) included a "cost of ownership" concept in his bipartisan Bring Jobs Back to America bill (H.R. 516), first introduced in the 111th Congress and reintroduced in the 112th Congress.
Wolf's efforts have now impacted the nationʼs “minibus” spending bill as part of a strategy to bring outsourced jobs back to the United States.
Recently, the U.S. Senate and House approved, and President Obama signed, the minibus spending bill, which involves the 2012 budgets for the U.S. Departments of Agriculture, Commerce, Justice, Science, Transportation, and Housing and Urban Development. In particular, the bill encourages the Commerce Department to focus its efforts on reshoring manufacturing and specifically instructs Commerce to develop an online total cost of ownership calculator that firms may use to determine the hidden costs of offshore manufacturing, such as shipping and inventory carrying costs.
Related recent Blogs
- Faribault Woolen Mill Thriving in its Third Century of Business • by elizabethbb • 08/01/2014
- August 1, 2014: The Rare, Solid Manufacturing Jobs Report • by mmcmullan • 08/01/2014
- Manufacturing sector adds 28,000 jobs in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 08/01/2014
- New "Gigafactory" set to create thousands of jobs in the U.S. • by TGarland • 07/31/2014
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014