A bowlful of good news
We were very flushed with excitement this morning to see some good news. U.S. manufacturing is indeed on a roll, and things are coming out well. One indicator: It looks as if toilet manufacturing is coming back to the U.S.
The Wall Street Journal reports*: "U.S. manufacturing of toilets is making a surprising, if modest, comeback."
Only seven toilet plants remain in the U.S. today, down from 48 in the late 1970s. But those that are left are now modernizing their plants to increase capacity. The one differentiator is that now, accorindg to the Journal, the remaing plants are "mostly under foreign ownership."
Mansfield Plumbing, the fourth largest U.S. toilet supplier, plans to add about 100 new employees within six months. By keeping production in the states, Mansfield was able to stand out:
But Mr. Morando wanted to keep production in the U.S. That would allow the company to differentiate itself by stressing its ability to get products to customers faster, respond quickly to changes in consumer preferences, and offer a "Made in U.S.A" label, which Mr. Morando believes is increasingly appealing.
Here at Alliance for American Manufacturing, we hope their success continues moving through the pipeline.
Read more. *Note the content is, unfortunately, only available to Wall Street Journal subscribers.
Image by Flickr user Daniel Oines, following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014
- 86th Annual Academy Awards: A glimpse at Los Angeles' manufacturing sector • by TGarland • 03/01/2014
- 86th Academy Awards: The Top 5 Manufacturing Movies • by scapozzola • 02/28/2014