A bowlful of good news
We were very flushed with excitement this morning to see some good news. U.S. manufacturing is indeed on a roll, and things are coming out well. One indicator: It looks as if toilet manufacturing is coming back to the U.S.
The Wall Street Journal reports*: "U.S. manufacturing of toilets is making a surprising, if modest, comeback."
Only seven toilet plants remain in the U.S. today, down from 48 in the late 1970s. But those that are left are now modernizing their plants to increase capacity. The one differentiator is that now, accorindg to the Journal, the remaing plants are "mostly under foreign ownership."
Mansfield Plumbing, the fourth largest U.S. toilet supplier, plans to add about 100 new employees within six months. By keeping production in the states, Mansfield was able to stand out:
But Mr. Morando wanted to keep production in the U.S. That would allow the company to differentiate itself by stressing its ability to get products to customers faster, respond quickly to changes in consumer preferences, and offer a "Made in U.S.A" label, which Mr. Morando believes is increasingly appealing.
Here at Alliance for American Manufacturing, we hope their success continues moving through the pipeline.
Read more. *Note the content is, unfortunately, only available to Wall Street Journal subscribers.
Image by Flickr user Daniel Oines, following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- An American-made case to protect your not so American-made phone • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014