A Blueprint for America, yet to be built
It's five years after the U.S. financial crisis. President Obama is in the midst of a weeklong focus on the economy.
A lot has happened in those five years. As Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul notes, American manufacturing had been left for dead. Since then, President Obama and an earlier Congress saved the U.S. auto industry, passed the Recovery act, and imposed regulations on the financial industry. But the economic malaise continues. According to a new report from the Census Bureau, the average American household makes less than it did in 1989, or the pre-recession peak in 2007. Unemployment remains stubbornly high at 7.3 percent. And after making a campaign promise to create one million new manufacturing jobs in his second term, the President has only seen 12,000 created so far this year.
American manufacturing has stepped back from the brink. But after the worst decade for manufacturing in its history, there is still much work to be done. Simply put: we need a strategy for new growth. And we've got it right here. Order a copy of ReMaking America today.
Related recent Blogs
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014