Blogger shares her tips for buying Made in the USA on a budget
Frequently, at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM), we're approached by people who believe making a commitment to buying American-made products means spending a lot of money.
This is not the case. Our friend, Sarah Mazzone (at Made in the USA Challenge), offers some great tips on buying American-made items on a budget.
A product made in USA that is more expensive is often of superior quality and may last decades, if not generations. According to Elizabeth Kline’s book 'Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion,' the average American buys 64 pieces of new clothing every year! The majority of these purchases are on cheap imports featuring fast fashion – disposable pieces of clothing that are worn for a mere season or two. It can be fun to buy a few new pieces of clothing now and then to spice up your wardrobe, but I choose pieces that won’t go out of fashion and will stand the test of time.
Definitely be sure to check out the entire article on Made in the USA Challenge.
Image by flickr user Clearly Ambiguous, used following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013