Automotive executives seek new talent at university commencements
Automotive News has identified a new venue for auto executives to recruit new employees -- college commencements.
Automotive Newsreporter Adam Rubenfire cites the auto industry’s recovery as having created not just a convenient PR story but also a need for the recruitment of potential managers, manufacturers, and engineers.
Rubenfire quotes GM CEO Dan Akerson’s commencement address at Columbia University’s graduate school of business. Akerson said:
The auto industry has gone from being an anchor on the economy to being the wind in its sails … in fact, we're one of the few bright spots. We're adding jobs and investing in America, just as America invested in us.
Rubenfire mentions that Akerson, towards the conclusion of his speech, requested those in attendance to consider working in the auto industry.
'We need people who are well-educated, talented and motivated,' Akerson said. 'We need you.'
Earlier this month, ManufactureThis wrote about the many manufacturing opportunities that could go unfilled without a well-prepared and enthusiastic workforce.
It’s no wonder the execs are making the rounds of the nation’s universities. Still, the question remains as to whether this “Victory Tour” is convincing enough after years of job flight.
Photo by Flickr user j.o.h.n. walker, used under Creative Commons license.
Related recent Blogs
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013