Automotive executives seek new talent at university commencements
Automotive News has identified a new venue for auto executives to recruit new employees -- college commencements.
Automotive Newsreporter Adam Rubenfire cites the auto industry’s recovery as having created not just a convenient PR story but also a need for the recruitment of potential managers, manufacturers, and engineers.
Rubenfire quotes GM CEO Dan Akerson’s commencement address at Columbia University’s graduate school of business. Akerson said:
The auto industry has gone from being an anchor on the economy to being the wind in its sails … in fact, we're one of the few bright spots. We're adding jobs and investing in America, just as America invested in us.
Rubenfire mentions that Akerson, towards the conclusion of his speech, requested those in attendance to consider working in the auto industry.
'We need people who are well-educated, talented and motivated,' Akerson said. 'We need you.'
Earlier this month, ManufactureThis wrote about the many manufacturing opportunities that could go unfilled without a well-prepared and enthusiastic workforce.
It’s no wonder the execs are making the rounds of the nation’s universities. Still, the question remains as to whether this “Victory Tour” is convincing enough after years of job flight.
Photo by Flickr user j.o.h.n. walker, used under Creative Commons license.
Related recent Blogs
- Clean energy manufacturing gets help from DOE • by TGarland • 12/12/2013
- John Porcari, DOT Buy America champion, is stepping down • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- December 12, 2013: Uh, an economic boom? • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- #ShopAmerica: Health and Beauty gift ideas • by LDonia • 12/11/2013
- Now there's an idea: Using trade policy as leverage with China • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- 5 Keys to American-Made Holiday Shopping • by TGarland • 12/11/2013
- December 11, 2013: US Trade Rep has not discussed this "currency manipulation" everyone keeps talking about • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- December 10, 2013: Welcome back, GM • by mmcmullan • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013