August 8, 2014: Maury is a close second to trade data in our book
Good afternoon, and welcome to the Early Shift.
The Dog Days of August are underway, but that doesn’t mean a whole lot of shaking hasn’t been going on. Here’s a brief rundown of what’s been happening this week … and a brief preview of what’s ahead.
Numero uno: The U.S. Department of Commerce released America’s monthly trade data, and another deficit north of $40 billion elicited a big ol’ “meh" from the media. Fun fact: Did you know that the U.S. has run a monthly trade deficit since 1976? It’s true.
Numero dos: China lost an appeal to a World Trade Organization ruling that determined Bejing had unfairly restricted access to its supply of rare earths minerals. That’s a good thing; those minerals go into everything from smartphones to military-grade equipment. Said Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul:
For too long, China’s export restrictions have held U.S. producers and workers hostage, and undermined our national security. We applaud USTR for pursuing the enforcement of our trade laws through the WTO.
Let’s not get too excited now, but the results are in — and the current king of daytime TV trash, Maury Povich, is the proprietor behind an American-made clothing company located in New Bedford, Massachusetts. We think that's awesome. So tune in later for the most gif-heavy Fashion Friday in AAM’s existence.
That’s it. That’s it and that’s all.
Until next Early Shift, America.
Related recent Blogs
- IMTS 2014: The View From AAM's Booth • by mmcmullan • 09/12/2014
- Sneak Peek: Titan-American Built Star Titan Gilroy Chats with Scott Paul about the Made-in-China Bay Bridge • by elizabethbb • 09/10/2014
- Visit AAM This Week at the International Manufacturing Technology Show • by TGarland • 09/07/2014
- Manufacturing sector gains zero jobs in August: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 09/05/2014
- China trade deficit hits new record in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 09/04/2014
- Joe Biden Praises Apprenticeships at NH Shipyard • by mmcmullan • 09/03/2014
- We’re Celebrating Factory Man — and You Could Win a Copy! • by elizabethbb • 09/03/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014