August 11, 2011 Headlines: $53 Billion Trade Deficit, China's Aircraft Carrier, and More
Bloomberg: The trade deficit expanded to $53 billion in June, boosted by a widening trade gap with China.
WSJ: There are 4.5 unemployed Americans for every job opening.
NYT: Is China raising the value of the Yuan? (Apparently, not nearly enough.)
WaPo: Bill Gross: we don't have a debt problem, we have an aggregate demand and job creation problem.
DFP: President Obama visits a Michigan advanced battery manufacturer today; announces federal support for more projects.
USAT: Obama's vacation plans may look a bit awkward, given the state of the economy. (Then again, Congress is taking five weeks off.)
WSJ: China test-drives its new aircraft carrier.
WSJ: Infrastructure is the right stimulus, says former Gov. Ed Rendell.
WaPo: Democrats wish Obama would get bolder on job creation.
The Hill: How about a jobs "supercommittee"?
Related recent Blogs
- Clean energy manufacturing gets help from DOE • by TGarland • 12/12/2013
- December 12, 2013: Uh, an economic boom? • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- #ShopAmerica: Health and Beauty gift ideas • by LDonia • 12/11/2013
- Now there's an idea: Using trade policy as leverage with China • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- 5 Keys to American-Made Holiday Shopping • by TGarland • 12/11/2013
- December 11, 2013: US Trade Rep has not discussed this "currency manipulation" everyone keeps talking about • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- December 10, 2013: Welcome back, GM • by mmcmullan • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013