The Atlantic: China's rise now threatens high-end jobs in the U.S.
Kudos to The Atlantic's Jordan Weissman for pointing out that some fears about U.S. jobs being shipped to China are valid. Weissman says that since China has transformed itself into the world's top exporter, it has moved up the value chain and is exporting not just "light goods and electronics" but "large, high-margin goods such as ships, locomotives, and construction equipment."
Weissman points to the massive government subsidies that Chinese firms receive in order to out compete the U.S. including "$2.5 billion from the government this year to improve technology and product quality."
Weissman says this "should be of some concern to U.S. policy makers":
Heavy machinery and transportation equipment are at the heart of the U.S. industrial base. They're part of our Big Six manufacturing sectors, along with food, chemicals, electronics, and metal products. These are businesses where labor is a relatively small part of the overall cost of making the product, and where America's technologically advanced factories have traditionally given us an edge. If they founder, there's not much left to replace them.
Related recent Blogs
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013