Are we creating manufacturing jobs fast enough to meet President Obama's second term goal?
During the 2012 presidential campaign, President Obama set a goal of creating 1 million new manufacturing jobs in his second term.
Now that the president's second term is underway, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) has started tracking the monthly progress of U.S. manufacturing job growth via a new #AAMeter.
By using monthly jobs report data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), AAM is able to keep a running tally of how the president is doing in accomplishing his goal, which would require an average monthly increase of 20,833 manufacturing jobs.
In an interview yesterday with WTVN 610AM (Columbus, OH), AAM President Scott Paul said that President Obama's goal is a fairly "modest" one. Unfortunately, the most recent jobs report showed the U.S. gaining only 14,000 manufacturing jobs-- below the pace needed to reach the intended 1 million new jobs.
However, it's possible to grow U.S. manufacturing by taking some key steps, according to Paul.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013