The architectural beauty of the Washington Monument
EDITOR'S UPDATE: Since this post was originally published we've posted a month of manufacturing facts, just like these.
Question: What is the both the world's tallest stone structure and the world's tallest obelisk?
Answer: The Washington Monument.
Standing 555 1/2 feet tall the monument is the tallest structure in Washington D.C. Construction of the monument began in 1848 but was not completed until 1884. It officially opened on October 9, 1888. Upon completion, it became the world's tallest structure, a title held until completion of the Eiffel Tower.
The monument was originally capped with a 100-ounce aluminum tipped lightning-rod. The tip was the largest single piece of aluminum cast at the time. The total cost of the monument was $1,187,710.
* Total height of monument: 555 feet, 5.12 inches
* Height from lobby to observation level: 500 feet
* Width at base of monument: 55 ft 1 1⁄2 inches
* Width at top of shaft: 34 ft 5 inches
* Thickness of monument walls at base: 15 feet
* Thickness of monument walls at observation level: 18 inches
* Total weight of monument: 82,421 tons
* Total number of blocks in monument: 36,491
* Sway of monument in 30-mile-per-hour wind: 0.125 inches
Related recent Blogs
- Manufacturing sector adds 28,000 jobs in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 08/01/2014
- New "Gigafactory" set to create thousands of jobs in the U.S. • by TGarland • 07/31/2014
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014