The architectural beauty of the Washington Monument
EDITOR'S UPDATE: Since this post was originally published we've posted a month of manufacturing facts, just like these.
Question: What is the both the world's tallest stone structure and the world's tallest obelisk?
Answer: The Washington Monument.
Standing 555 1/2 feet tall the monument is the tallest structure in Washington D.C. Construction of the monument began in 1848 but was not completed until 1884. It officially opened on October 9, 1888. Upon completion, it became the world's tallest structure, a title held until completion of the Eiffel Tower.
The monument was originally capped with a 100-ounce aluminum tipped lightning-rod. The tip was the largest single piece of aluminum cast at the time. The total cost of the monument was $1,187,710.
* Total height of monument: 555 feet, 5.12 inches
* Height from lobby to observation level: 500 feet
* Width at base of monument: 55 ft 1 1⁄2 inches
* Width at top of shaft: 34 ft 5 inches
* Thickness of monument walls at base: 15 feet
* Thickness of monument walls at observation level: 18 inches
* Total weight of monument: 82,421 tons
* Total number of blocks in monument: 36,491
* Sway of monument in 30-mile-per-hour wind: 0.125 inches
Related recent Blogs
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014
- 86th Annual Academy Awards: A glimpse at Los Angeles' manufacturing sector • by TGarland • 03/01/2014