Annual U.S. trade deficit with China sets new record in 2013: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement.
This morning, the U.S. Department of Commerce released its annual U.S. trade figures for 2013.
- America's goods trade deficit with China set a new record in 2013 for the fourth straight year, climbing from $315.1 billion in 2012 to $318.4 in 2013.
- Overall, the U.S. international goods and services trade deficit declined to $471.5 billion in 2013, from $534.7 billion in 2012.
- The U.S. non-petroleum goods trade deficit rose from $438.4 billion in 2012 to $456.4 billion in 2013.
Said Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul:
"Even America’s emerging energy trade advantage can’t mask the damage done by our record trade deficit with China. Since 2009, the trade deficit with China has risen by 40%.
“President Obama promised to hold China accountable. He hasn’t. The White House last month said President Obama would use his pen and his phone to make progress on economic issues. He could start today by signing an order to designate China as a currency manipulator. Then, he could call the Chinese leadership to demand an end to that practice, and secure an agreement on a plan to cut this deficit in half over the next three years.
“The trade deficit is more than a number. It represents a shrinking middle class, fewer good job opportunities, and further proof that our economic policies—including a lack of enforcement of existing trade laws—contribute to outsourcing. That’s no record to be proud of.”
READ a fact sheet on new national polling that shows why voters blame Washington for weak job growth.
Related recent Blogs
- New "Gigafactory" set to create thousands of jobs in the U.S. • by TGarland • 07/31/2014
- Congress Still Hasn't Made a Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by mmcmullan • 07/30/2014
- UCLA Flood: A Real Life of Example of What Happens When We Ignore Our Infrastructure • by elizabethbb • 07/30/2014
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014