America's Decline: Why China is More Dangerous Than the Japanese or Soviets Ever Were
In a great piece in Foreign Policy Magazine, Gideon Rachman asks us to "think again" about America's decline and the threat posed to the United States by China.
Rachman acknowledges that America has been in a state of decline and vulnerability before, such as in the cases of Japan and the Soviet Union, but compares America's situation with the tale of the boy who cried wolf saying, "But a frequently overlooked fact about that fable is that the boy was eventually proved right. The wolf did arrive -- and China is the wolf."
He calls China the "largest part of a bigger story about the rise of new economic and political players," these being Britain, France, Italy and Germany and outlines why China, in particular, presents a more real threat than either Japan or the Soviet Union did in years past.
Throughout the article, Rachman dispells what he sees as myths about the rise of China, including the notion that globalization is more beneficial for the west (i.e. America) than any other country. In fact, he says it is quite the contrary, debunking the misunderstandings of former presidents that free trade would lead to China's democratization and that new democracies would become allies of the United States.
Related recent Blogs
- Nanette Lepore's New Shoe • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- May 24, 2013 Headlines: U.S.-EU trade deal exemptions, investing in U.S. manufacturing, and more. • by LRaup • 05/24/2013
- Washington State Bridge Collapse Illustrates Perils of Failing Infrastructure. • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- Reps. Daniel Lipinski (D-IL) and Michael Grimm (R-NY) form new Congressional Public Transportation Caucus. • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- Homeland Security and Gov. Tom Ridge • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- CNBC: Is a Chinese construction firm benefiting from its Beijing connection? • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013