Americans keep saying they want to buy American-made
Polling conducted for the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) last summer found that Americans are very "pro-manufacturing." Not only do 97% of voters maintain extremely favorable views of goods manufactured in the U.S., but they continue to see manufacturing as the industry “most important to the overall strength of the American economy.” And because voters see manufacturing as a key engine of job growth, they want to buy American-made in order to support jobs and the economy.
A recent Harris Interactive poll confirms these findings. And while the issue of a product being strictly "American-made" has grown more tricky due to global sourcing, three-fourths of Americans (75%) agree that “A product needs to be manufactured within the U.S. for me to consider it ‘American’.”
As for the overall merits of buying "Made in USA," the majority of voters feel that it is either “very important” or “important” to “buy American.” These views were held most strongly for major appliances (75%), furniture (74%), clothing (72%), small appliances (71%), and automobiles (70%).
Related recent Blogs
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013