Americans keep saying they want to buy American-made
Polling conducted for the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) last summer found that Americans are very "pro-manufacturing." Not only do 97% of voters maintain extremely favorable views of goods manufactured in the U.S., but they continue to see manufacturing as the industry “most important to the overall strength of the American economy.” And because voters see manufacturing as a key engine of job growth, they want to buy American-made in order to support jobs and the economy.
A recent Harris Interactive poll confirms these findings. And while the issue of a product being strictly "American-made" has grown more tricky due to global sourcing, three-fourths of Americans (75%) agree that “A product needs to be manufactured within the U.S. for me to consider it ‘American’.”
As for the overall merits of buying "Made in USA," the majority of voters feel that it is either “very important” or “important” to “buy American.” These views were held most strongly for major appliances (75%), furniture (74%), clothing (72%), small appliances (71%), and automobiles (70%).
Related recent Blogs
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- December 10, 2013: Welcome back, GM • by mmcmullan • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- December 9, 2013: China reports biggest trade surplus in five years • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013