Americans feel negatively towards China
Earlier this week, the Alliance for American Manufacturuing (AAM) declared, on our Twitter page that the biggest political event of the week is President Obama’s visit with China’s President Xi Jinping.
This meet-up could have far-reaching implications for the economy, the environment, and national defense, to name a few areas. We even took the time to draft and send a letter to the White House, detailing the issues we hope are discussed during the meeting.
It seems that AAM is not alone in its concerns over China's rise. According to a new Pew Research Center poll, Americans’ perceptions of China have shifted negatively over the course of the last two years. A majority of respondents expressed an unfavorable view of China.
According to Pew:
Americans are especially concerned about the economic threat from China. A 2012 Pew Research Center poll found majorities of Americans said it was a very serious problem to have the loss of U.S. jobs to China; the large U.S. debt held by China; and the U.S. trade deficit with China.
It’s worth noting, the feeling is mutual. More than half the Chinese people polled expressed an unfavorable view of America.
Needless to say, with so much animosity and suspicion, we hope the two presidents have a productive meeting and can clear the path for a more mutually beneficial relationship going forward.
Related recent Blogs
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- December 5, 2013: Another voice for a currency rule in the TPP • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- A bad time to sideline trade talks • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- Infrastructure investment means job creation • by TGarland • 12/04/2013