Americans agree: Obama is focusing on the wrong deficit
A new Washington Post/ABC News Poll reinforces what Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Executive Director Scott Paul told Huffington Post readers last week: Americans are more concerned about jobs than anything else.
Though the Obama administration has been wholly focused on the nation’s budget deficit, it’s clear that the public is focused on the true crisis facing our county-- the jobs deficit. As the Washington Post’s Greg Sargent put it:
It’s the economy, not the deficit: There’s a clear message in today’s Washington Post/ABC News poll: At a time when official Washington is preoccupied with the deficit and spending cuts, Obama’s reelection team should be worried about the economy above all else. The poll finds that 47 percent approve of Obama’s performance, down seven points since January -- a period during which the discussion over the deficit has been front and center, and Obama and Dems reached an agreement on spending cuts that sucked up all the Beltway oxygen.
Along the same vein, Scott Paul also shared his thoughts on why President Obama's approval ratings are so low on Politco’s Arena:
It’s the economy, stupid. The President and Congress continue to obsess about the wrong deficit. The effective unemployment rate in America is over 15 percent, when you consider the discouraged and underemployed. The economy is the top concern of voters, but you wouldn’t know that living inside the Beltway. While the debt is also an important issue, focusing on deficit reduction is a poor way to create jobs. Focusing on job creation, on the other hand, is a great way to reduce the deficit as our economy grows.
Related recent Blogs
- Nanette Lepore's New Shoe • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- May 24, 2013 Headlines: U.S.-EU trade deal exemptions, investing in U.S. manufacturing, and more. • by LRaup • 05/24/2013
- Washington State Bridge Collapse Illustrates Perils of Failing Infrastructure. • by scapozzola • 05/24/2013
- Reps. Daniel Lipinski (D-IL) and Michael Grimm (R-NY) form new Congressional Public Transportation Caucus. • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- Homeland Security and Gov. Tom Ridge • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- CNBC: Is a Chinese construction firm benefiting from its Beijing connection? • by scapozzola • 05/23/2013
- May 23, 2013 Headlines: Gains in the job market, small businesses manufacturing in the U.S.A., and more. • by LRaup • 05/23/2013
- VIDEO: Concerns about America's defense industrial base • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- CNBC: China investing in U.S. • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013
- In Indiana, ongoing concerns about subsidized auto parts from China and Japan • by scapozzola • 05/22/2013