An American-made roadside attraction
Visitors to Portland, Oregon may be surprised to be greeted by a roadside 31-foot tall Paul Bunyan statue. Certainly, in its more than half-century of existence, it's raised some questions for tourists and locals alike.
And while we can't answer everything, we can tell you this much: It is, indeed, Made in America.
There may be another obvious question on your mind: "But why was this totally boss Paul Bunyan statue built?" Well, we've got the answer to that too.
According to a 2009 article from the Oregonian (when the statue was added to the National Register of Historic Places) it was commissioned by a neighborhood business group to greet the millions of visitors to the state's 1959 Centennial Exposition. It went up right alongside Interstate Avenue, which was a main gateway into Portland at the time.
The article goes on to quote historian Ian Johnson:
'People were really proud of it...Paul Bunyan was a really popular figure at the time. Even though Paul Bunyan is a Minnesota legend, it made sense to folks out here because the timber industry was really important in Oregon.'
And there you have it: one full week of American-made trivia. Here's to three more!
Related recent Blogs
- Candidate Watch: We Need a Few More Details, Terri Lynn Land • by elizabethbb • 07/29/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014