An American-made roadside attraction
Visitors to Portland, Oregon may be surprised to be greeted by a roadside 31-foot tall Paul Bunyan statue. Certainly, in its more than half-century of existence, it's raised some questions for tourists and locals alike.
And while we can't answer everything, we can tell you this much: It is, indeed, Made in America.
There may be another obvious question on your mind: "But why was this totally boss Paul Bunyan statue built?" Well, we've got the answer to that too.
According to a 2009 article from the Oregonian (when the statue was added to the National Register of Historic Places) it was commissioned by a neighborhood business group to greet the millions of visitors to the state's 1959 Centennial Exposition. It went up right alongside Interstate Avenue, which was a main gateway into Portland at the time.
The article goes on to quote historian Ian Johnson:
'People were really proud of it...Paul Bunyan was a really popular figure at the time. Even though Paul Bunyan is a Minnesota legend, it made sense to folks out here because the timber industry was really important in Oregon.'
And there you have it: one full week of American-made trivia. Here's to three more!
Related recent Blogs
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014
- 86th Annual Academy Awards: A glimpse at Los Angeles' manufacturing sector • by TGarland • 03/01/2014
- 86th Academy Awards: The Top 5 Manufacturing Movies • by scapozzola • 02/28/2014