American-made pedal power from the motor city
Detroit is in the news all too often for the wrong reasons. The ongoing saga of the city’s recently declared bankruptcy. A sideshow atmosphere growing around the auction of the historic Packard Plant. And the new Robocop is the wrong color (Robocop is silver, period).
But not all is lost. One of the Detroit Three had a heckuva third quarter, and its corporate team is sticking up for American manufacturers and workers as the Obama administration pushes completion of a dubious trade deal. And that’s not all: If you prefer human propulsion as your mode of transportation, the Motor City’s got you covered.
We at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) like bikes, and here's another one we think you should know about: Say hi to the A-Type, a one-size-fits-nearly-all bicycle from aptly named Detroit Bikes.
Per the company’s website:
We cut, cope, bend, weld, paint, assemble and package each bike in our 50,000 square-foot factory in west Detroit. And you? You ride them joyfully wherever the road takes you.
Now, I’ll level with you: The A-Type might be tough to find outside of Michigan. But you can order one via Detroit Bikes’ website for the reasonable price of $550. That’s not bad for a brand new, three-speed, American-made bicycle. So check them out. And if anyone knows who we can complain to about matte black Robocop, please let me know. I’m pretty sure that’s not something I contact my congressional representative about, but it’s definitely grinding my gears.
Related recent Blogs
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014