American-made pedal power from the motor city
Detroit is in the news all too often for the wrong reasons. The ongoing saga of the city’s recently declared bankruptcy. A sideshow atmosphere growing around the auction of the historic Packard Plant. And the new Robocop is the wrong color (Robocop is silver, period).
But not all is lost. One of the Detroit Three had a heckuva third quarter, and its corporate team is sticking up for American manufacturers and workers as the Obama administration pushes completion of a dubious trade deal. And that’s not all: If you prefer human propulsion as your mode of transportation, the Motor City’s got you covered.
We at the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) like bikes, and here's another one we think you should know about: Say hi to the A-Type, a one-size-fits-nearly-all bicycle from aptly named Detroit Bikes.
Per the company’s website:
We cut, cope, bend, weld, paint, assemble and package each bike in our 50,000 square-foot factory in west Detroit. And you? You ride them joyfully wherever the road takes you.
Now, I’ll level with you: The A-Type might be tough to find outside of Michigan. But you can order one via Detroit Bikes’ website for the reasonable price of $550. That’s not bad for a brand new, three-speed, American-made bicycle. So check them out. And if anyone knows who we can complain to about matte black Robocop, please let me know. I’m pretty sure that’s not something I contact my congressional representative about, but it’s definitely grinding my gears.
Related recent Blogs
- Foxx takes to the road to push for transportation fixes • by mmcmullan • 04/17/2014
- Obama vs. Bush: Who actually made more progress in revaluing China’s yuan? • by scapozzola • 04/16/2014
- Treasury decision on China currency will cost U.S. jobs: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 04/15/2014
- Gathered in the USA • by TGarland • 04/15/2014
- OPINION: Fix the vulnerable defense industrial base • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- April 14, 2014: Opinions, opinions, and Peeps • by mmcmullan • 04/14/2014
- Fashion Friday: Accessorizing the American-made way • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- Manufacturing Jobs & #EqualPay • by LRaup • 04/11/2014
- April 11, 2014: Cherry blossoms! • by mmcmullan • 04/11/2014
- Rep. Sandy Levin talks currency and the TPP • by mmcmullan • 04/10/2014