The hottest colors in fashion right now might just be "Red, White, and Blue." Okay, maybe not—but according to a recent article in the Philadelphia Enquirer, more Americans are seeking out Made-in-USA fashions than ever before:
"We have so many people come into our store and ask, 'Is this made in the U.S.A.? Is this made locally?' " said Ali McCloud, owner of the Northern Liberties-based, eco-friendly boutique Arcadia. "People are really starting to pay attention to the made-in-America tag."
And what’s behind the rising demand for American-made clothing? According to Elizabeth Wellington of the Enquirer, there are several factors at play:
Partly, it's a byproduct of an eco-friendly wave of thinking: What better way to lower your carbon footprint then buying clothes manufactured in North Philadelphia or Brooklyn rather than Beijing?
But our growing sense of red-white-and-blue pride also is the fallout from circumstances: Gas and food prices are rising, apparel-industry job opportunities are falling, and presidential candidates are vying to steer our future. So the idea of sending work overseas - especially for something as basic as clothing from a city that once was a textile giant - is unsettling to many.
Related recent Blogs
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013