American money dispensed by American-made machines? That’s the kind of synergy we love here at Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM).
Over the past weeks, we have told you the reshoring stories of GE’s Appliance Park and Ford Motor Company’s Fusion. This week, we turn our focus to NCR, a company that provides ATMs and point-of-sale systems to large retailers and banks throughout the U.S.
In 2009, NCR decided to build a new facility in Columbus, GA. Several circumstances led to the company bringing manufacturing back to the U.S. As Harry Moser of the Reshoring Initiative explains in AAM’s new book, ReMaking America, explains: NCR experienced slow response rates from foreign contractors and rising labor costs in China, India, and Brazil.
Moreover, NCR discovered that not only did it make sense monetarily to bring manufacturing back to the U.S., it would help the company's innovation. NCR was able to streamline and perfect its products by having manufacturing near engineering and its customer base.
But why Columbus, GA? NCR’s senior vice president Rick Marquardt chose to locate facilities there following the warm reception he received from Columbus officials and other companies who had relocated there.The plant in Columbus, GA has since opened two more sites and employs 600 employees. It’s also NCR’s best performing plant in its global system.
With receptive communities and American workers, companies like NCR are encouraged to bring manufacturing back to the U.S.
Image by flickr user duncan, used following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014
- 86th Annual Academy Awards: A glimpse at Los Angeles' manufacturing sector • by TGarland • 03/01/2014
- 86th Academy Awards: The Top 5 Manufacturing Movies • by scapozzola • 02/28/2014