"American Jobs Matter" Amendment passes U.S. House of Representatives
The House successfully passed an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act introduced by Rep. Chris Murphy (D-CT) that will allow the government to gather job creation information and consider that information in contracting decisions.
Murphy's bill, which was re-cast into an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act, will give manufacturers the opportunity to provide information to the Department of Defense regarding how their bid for a contract will affect domestic employment. The potential contractor would list on their bid the number of jobs created or retained if the bid is awarded. The bill would then allow the Defense Department to take this "Jobs Impact Statement" into consideration when deciding between different bidders.
Murphy explained: "Our premise is simple: the Defense Department should give preference to American manufacturers when awarding contracts. Most people assume we already consider American jobs when we hand over our defense dollars to contractors. Well, we don't, but we should."
Read more about Buy America preferences.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013