Alliance for American Manufacturing statement on latest monthly job numbers
The latest monthly U.S. jobs numbers were released this morning. They showed an increase of 33,000 manufacturing jobs in February. Nonfarm payroll employment increased by 192,000, and the unemployment rate was little changed at 8.9 percent.
Said Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Executive Director Scott Paul:
"The fact that 33,000 manufacturing jobs were added in February is good news, but we have a long way to go to undo the damage of the recession as well as China's mercantilism over the past decade. There is no doubt that the Obama Administration's rescue plan for our auto sector is playing a role in the growth in manufacturing employment. But, we risk losing these gains unless we can get our trade deficit with China under control. We continue to lose not only factories, but also entire industries, to China. We need to see a much more aggressive stance in Congress and the Administration on China's mercantilist practices."
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013