Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) supports Currency Exchange Rate Oversight Reform Act of 2011
The Currency Exchange Rate Oversight Reform Act of 2011 was introduced in the U.S. Senate today by Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH), along with Senators Chuck Schumer (NY), Lindsey Graham (SC), Olympia Snowe (ME), Debbie Stabenow (MI), Jeff Sessions (AL), Robert Casey (PA), and Richard Burr (NC). The bipartisan legislation is intended to address China’s market-distorting, job-killing currency manipulation.
Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) executive director Scott Paul authored a letter to Sen. Brown and his colleagues to commend them for introducing this important bill. Paul praised the "common-sense legislation" which would "utilize our existing trade laws to provide a remedy for China’s market-distorting practice of currency manipulation":
There is broad consensus among economists that the yuan is severely undervalued and there is a wealth of economic research demonstrating that addressing the issue would boost our gross domestic product (GDP), create and preserve U.S. jobs, lower our trade deficit, and reduce budget deficits. Yet, as the Senate moves closer to a vote, some importers have made unsupported allegations about the dangers of enforcing our rights in international trade. Frankly, we are stunned that any organization would want to tie our hands behind our backs when faced with a mercantilist trade policy of a communist government that inflates dangerous global imbalances.
Paul's letter debunks some of the myths "perpetuated by outsourcers and others who have a financial interest in maintaining the status quo with respect to China’s currency rigging." Specifically, Paul explains why utilizing U.S. trade laws to remedy predatory trade is an appropriate, effective method of creating jobs in the U.S. while leveling the playing field for U.S. manufacturers.
Related recent Blogs
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014
- The OCTG Trade Case Heads to the International Trade Commission • by TGarland • 07/16/2014