Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement on President Obama’s Advanced Manufacturing Speech
Said Scott Paul, Executive Director of AAM:
Linking manufacturers with the latest cutting-edge research at universities and federal agencies is one step in brightening the prospects for American manufacturing. But we can’t stop there.
We welcome President Obama’s support for public-private partnerships to develop new products, innovations, and processes for American manufacturing. Pittsburgh is the right place to make this announcement: home of a modern steel industry, great academic institutions, sophisticated research, a skilled workforce, and a strong industrial union.
America has been falling behind in manufacturing while the rest of the world aggressively supports its industry. We are playing catch-up following decades of neglect. The Advanced Manufacturing Partnership shows a lot of promise, but the effort will be futile unless our manufacturers also have a solid foundation of support for challenges like unfair trade practices, currency manipulation, developing a skilled workforce, and a more efficient infrastructure.
As I told Sen. Casey (D-PA) and other members of the Joint Economic Committee on Wednesday;
We believe, as we imagine you do, that a strong and vibrant manufacturing base is essential to our nation's economic stability, a strong middle class, and employment opportunities for young men and women across America. We also believe that our nation will never realize its full potential to grow the manufacturing sector of our economy without a robust strategy and aggressive set of public policies to complement private sector efforts by business and labor to maintain a globally competitive industry.
AAM’s book Manufacturing a Better Future for America (2009, AAM) includes a chapter on advanced manufacturing written by Carnegie Mellon University’s David Bourne. Click here to download the podcast.
Related recent Blogs
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014
- We’re Live From Netroots Nation! • by elizabethbb • 07/17/2014
- So Much For Promises: China's Manipulating Its Currency, Again • by mmcmullan • 07/17/2014