Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Screens 'Death by China' movie.
Recently AAM Field Coordinators Rachel Bennett Steury, Meghan McKeefry, Michael Mitchell, and Ken Poweski attended the Chicago screening of a new documentary Death By China, produced by author and filmmaker, Peter Navarro.
(Navarro contributed to the AAM book Manufacturing a Better Future for America.)
DEATH BY CHINA, tackles an increasing problem facing our country today – our destructive trade relationship with China. In the film Navarro highlights 5 Weapons on Job Destruction that the government of China has implemented to become the worlds’ manufacturer and what we all can do to stop our rampant job loss. Narrator Martin Sheen explains how our jobs are being “Shang-hai’ed” and that to have a truly vibrant economy, we need to have employment in the manufacturing industry at 20% to 25%, not the 10% we are seeing today. DEATH BY CHINA shows us that the best jobs program for the US is Trade Reform with China.
During the post-screening discussion, questions about debt, a trade war, currency manipulation and protectionism. Like AAM field staff, Navarro has heard all the reasons why we SHOULD NOT address our growing trade deficit with China but shared with the attendees why it’s so important to act now, before it’s too late and all of our manufacturing capabilities have disappeared. He said that our “industrial base is vital to keep and we must defend it. Some nay-sayers think that supporting our manufacturing base is a form of protectionism. There is a big difference between protectionism and self-defense.”
DEATH BY CHINA is showing across the country. Rachel, Meghan, Mike and Ken think it’s a “MUST SEE” and give it Two-Thumbs Up!
Related recent Blogs
- Clean energy manufacturing gets help from DOE • by TGarland • 12/12/2013
- John Porcari, DOT Buy America champion, is stepping down • by mmcmullan • 12/12/2013
- Now there's an idea: Using trade policy as leverage with China • by mmcmullan • 12/11/2013
- 5 Keys to American-Made Holiday Shopping • by TGarland • 12/11/2013
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013