Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Executive Director Scott Paul Talks Job Creation with Michele Tafoya on WCCO-CBS radio
Tafoya interviewed Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) executive director Scott Paul. In a wide-ranging discussion, Paul listed key items that can help jumpstart U.S. manufacturing, including much-needed changes to the U.S. tax code, new infrastructure investment, adjustments to trade policy, and implementation of Buy America requirements.
Tafoya also cited Paul's recent op-ed in The Hill which suggests a number of priorities for both Congress and the Administration.
On the subject of Buy America policy, for example, Paul explained why this is a common sense approach to spending tax dollars.
Tafoya asked why it's not wiser to purchase cheaper goods from overseas. Paul explained that, with steel for example, the return benefit to the U.S. economy of buying domestically produced steel is significant. Furthermore, Chinese steel happens to be artificially cheaper because China employs a number of illegal practices (including currency manipulation) to undercut U.S. producers.
Paul added that Buy America policy contains provisions to ensure that if there is a significant cost differential between domestic and imported components, the rquirement can be waived.
After the interview, Tafoya Tweeted Paul's Hill op-ed on job creation suggestions for Congress and the Administration.
Related recent Blogs
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- December 6, 2013: The #AAMeter, it moves (in the right direction)! • by mmcmullan • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- December 5, 2013: Another voice for a currency rule in the TPP • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- Some Made in America gift ideas for the obnoxious teenager in your life • by LDonia • 12/04/2013
- A bad time to sideline trade talks • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- Infrastructure investment means job creation • by TGarland • 12/04/2013
- December 4, 2013: Familiar trade deficit doldrums • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013