AAM's Scott Paul on CNN: Potential skepticism of Walmart plan to source more American-made goods
Earlier this week, Walmart CEO Bill Simon announced that the company plans to buy an additional $50 billion in U.S.-made products over the next 10 years.
The news was widely scrutinized, and Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) president Scott Paul was quoted by ABC News as saying that the announcement, if true, could be a "game changer" because no other company "drives retailing trends like Walmart":
“Ideally, Walmart’s and Sam’s Club’s pledge of increased domestic sourcing will include higher-ticket items like appliances and apparel, and not simply more of the current paper goods and vegetables that are made in the U.S.,” Paul said.
In an interview on CNN, Paul was more skeptical, though, observing that Walmart has offered PR-friendly gestures in the past:
ALISON KOSIK, CNN BUSINESS CORRESPONDENT: Yes it's interesting timing isn't it...we spoke with the executive director of the American Alliance for Manufacturing who points out you know what, we've actually seen this one before.
SCOTT PAUL, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, ALLIANCE FOR AMERICAN MANUFACTURING: Walmart has been a major part of the problem for the last couple of decades. And I point out and just to stretch your memories a little bit in the mid-'80s Walmart announced a big made in America campaign saying they were going to bring jobs back. And it proved to be a PR stunt. At the same time they were citing very specific examples of some products they were sourcing in the United States and they continue to off-shore.
AAM will be watching to see if Walmart follows through on its commitment.
Related recent Blogs
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014
- President Obama proposes public-private infrastructure initiative: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 07/17/2014