AAM's Scott Paul on CNN: Potential skepticism of Walmart plan to source more American-made goods
Earlier this week, Walmart CEO Bill Simon announced that the company plans to buy an additional $50 billion in U.S.-made products over the next 10 years.
The news was widely scrutinized, and Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) president Scott Paul was quoted by ABC News as saying that the announcement, if true, could be a "game changer" because no other company "drives retailing trends like Walmart":
“Ideally, Walmart’s and Sam’s Club’s pledge of increased domestic sourcing will include higher-ticket items like appliances and apparel, and not simply more of the current paper goods and vegetables that are made in the U.S.,” Paul said.
In an interview on CNN, Paul was more skeptical, though, observing that Walmart has offered PR-friendly gestures in the past:
ALISON KOSIK, CNN BUSINESS CORRESPONDENT: Yes it's interesting timing isn't it...we spoke with the executive director of the American Alliance for Manufacturing who points out you know what, we've actually seen this one before.
SCOTT PAUL, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, ALLIANCE FOR AMERICAN MANUFACTURING: Walmart has been a major part of the problem for the last couple of decades. And I point out and just to stretch your memories a little bit in the mid-'80s Walmart announced a big made in America campaign saying they were going to bring jobs back. And it proved to be a PR stunt. At the same time they were citing very specific examples of some products they were sourcing in the United States and they continue to off-shore.
AAM will be watching to see if Walmart follows through on its commitment.
Related recent Blogs
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014
- And the award goes to ... American workers • by TGarland • 03/03/2014
- March 3, 2014: Cold weather and cold Oscars pizza go together • by mmcmullan • 03/03/2014