AAM Statement Regarding Chinese Export Restrictions on Rare Earth Minerals
News reports indicate that China is now blocking the export of rare earth minerals to the United States. China produces more than 90% of the world’s supply of these minerals which are needed for the manufacture of solar panels, wind turbines, advanced batteries and energy efficient lighting.
Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Executive Director Scott Paul commented:
“If China is placing additional restrictions on the export of certain rare earth minerals, then it only validates the legitimacy of the current clean energy trade case against China. We can’t let China threaten and intimidate our workers and businesses. A strong response from nations that believe in rules-based trade is warranted.”
The United States Trade Representative is investigating a 301 unfair trade petition filed by the United Steelworkers which details China’s illegal trade practices in the clean energy sector, including the use of export quotas, taxes and licensing procedures designed to reduce exports of rare earth materials to the U.S. and other countries in violation of China’s WTO commitments.
Related recent Blogs
- The Big Three set the stage for a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/10/2013
- Pharmaceutical companies' interests are covered in the TPP -- as for everyone else? Ehh ... • by mmcmullan • 12/09/2013
- A swing and a miss for Biden in Asia • by TGarland • 12/09/2013
- Kickstarting a manufacturing renaissance • by TGarland • 12/06/2013
- U.S. Manufacturing Gains 27,000 Jobs in November: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 12/06/2013
- Indiana manufacturing program expands • by TGarland • 12/05/2013
- Scott Paul: Keep skilled jobs for skilled workers in Washington • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- December 5, 2013: Another voice for a currency rule in the TPP • by mmcmullan • 12/05/2013
- A bad time to sideline trade talks • by mmcmullan • 12/04/2013
- Infrastructure investment means job creation • by TGarland • 12/04/2013