The AAM Fact-check on President Obama's manufacturing proposals in the State of the Union
Some specific quotes and responses from the president's speech:
President Obama on manufacturing hubs: “My administration has launched two hubs for high-tech manufacturing...Tonight, I’m announcing we’ll launch six more this year.”
Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) President Scott Paul's response: "The innovation hubs can make a real difference for American manufacturing if they are coupled with a more robust strategy on trade and investment. And Congress could do its part by passing bipartisan legislation authored by Senators Brown (OH) and Blunt (MO) to expand funding for this network."
President Obama on workforce training: "I’ve asked Vice President Biden to lead an across-the-board reform of America’s training programs to make sure they have one mission: train Americans with the skills employers need, and match them to good jobs that need to be filled right now."
AAM's Scott Paul: "Skills and training are crucial to the future success of American manufacturing. But a perceived skills gap isn't the reason why American manufacturing is falling behind. It's a jobs gap, driven by our expanding trade deficit with China, that's the primary challenge."
President Obama on trade promotion authority: "We need to work together on tools like bipartisan trade promotion authority to protect our workers, protect our environment, and open new markets to new goods stamped 'Made in the USA.'"
AAM's Scott Paul: "Promoting exports is a good thing. Eliminating our trade deficit would be a great thing. They can help do both if the administration and Congress focus on legislation to combat currency manipulation and ensure a level playing field for American workers and businesses."
President Obama on tax reform: “Let’s work together to close those loopholes, end those incentives to ship jobs overseas, and lower tax rates for businesses that create jobs here at home.”
AAM's Scott Paul: "Tax reform, done the right way, can expand jobs and investment in American manufacturing."
President Obama on Infrastructure investment: "We’ll need Congress to protect more than three million jobs by finishing transportation and waterways bills this summer.”
AAM's Scott Paul: "AAM strongly supports infrastructure investment to boost American jobs and improve our economy, as well as strong Buy America preferences to ensure our tax dollars aren’t outsourced."
Related recent Blogs
- If America Won’t Invest in America’s Infrastructure, China Will • by elizabethbb • 08/19/2014
- Yes, Manufacturing Jobs Are Coming Back. But Will Progress Happen Fast Enough? • by elizabethbb • 08/18/2014
- No Electricity Needed for Corter Leather & Cloth • by elizabethbb • 08/15/2014
- Improving Our Railways: A Key Part of Rebuilding America • by elizabethbb • 08/14/2014
- Five Tests Walmart Must Pass to Show its 'Made In America' Street Cred • by spaul • 08/13/2014
- More Evidence the "Jobs Recovery" Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be • by elizabethbb • 08/12/2014
- More Work to Do, Indeed • by elizabethbb • 08/11/2014
- August 11, 2014: Chinese Textile Manufacturing ... in the Carolinas • by mmcmullan • 08/11/2014
- Maury’s clothing line: “Made in America, without compromise.” • by mmcmullan • 08/08/2014
- August 8, 2014: Maury is a close second to trade data in our book • by mmcmullan • 08/08/2014